You can make this traditional hamburger casserole for around $3.00 and feed a family of four a nice filling meal. This recipe is an old standby from years past when housewives needed to stretch their grocery dollar. We can use some meals like this in our repertoire to get through the week.Three cheap ingredients
While you are at Kroger, pick up a little roll of their ground beef, which is usually under $2.00. You will also need a cheap box of macaroni and cheese dinner and a can of cream of mushroom soup, which is a little cheaper at the dollar store nearby. You probably have a few crackers at home to sprinkle over it, right?
Cheap and quick
It is nice to have a quick meal to throw together, so that you avoid the drive-through after work. If you have the ingredients on hand, it could save you money on a regular basis.
- One Pound of Hamburger
- One box of macaroni and cheese dinner
- One can of cream of mushroom soup
- A few crackers to crumble over the top
- Brown and drain the hamburger.
- Boil and drain the macaroni.
- Add the dry cheese packet to the macaroni, but not the milk or butter normally used.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and the hamburger.
- Spread in a greased dish, and sprinkle with cracker crumbs.
- You can dot with butter, if desired.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
You can add anything else you have on hand to the dinner: bread, a vegetable or salad, but the main course should provide four hearty servings.
As published in my cooking column on the Knoxville Examiner.