We all want to turn back the hands of time? We all want to look younger. But have you stopped and thought about the idea that your home or rather the things that are in your home may be the cause of some of your aging?
Dr. Oz recently did a segment on his show that addressed the issues in our homes that may be the cause of some of our aging. Does any of this relate to your home?
Your television set
Is your TV flame retardant? At first, you are probably thinking I hope so. It sounds like something you would want built into your TV. Yet, some of the chemicals used to make television sets flame retardant may also cause cancer in humans. In fact, starting in 2013 the EPA has begun a ban on these chemicals.
You can protect yourself from these chemicals by periodically cleaning the back of your television by using your brush attachment on your vacuum and gently sweeping it over the back of your television. You can also protect yourself by keeping your television in a cabinet.
The reason you want to lower the amount of dust is that the chemicals within the television can mix with any dust that comes into contact with them. Then as the dust continues to grow, you will begin to inhale the dust and the chemicals.
The paint in your home
Paint and paint thinners contain chemicals known as VOC. These can harmful to your body as you inhale them. They are especially harmful as you are applying the paint. Your best bet is to look for paint with a low VOC number. Two brands you may want to look for are Greenguard and Greenseal. They may cost you a bit more. Yet, they are better for you, especially if you have breathing or allergy problems.
The bathroom – mold and mildew
Mold and mildew loves your bathroom. This may be the first place in your home that you will find it. If you do, try to take care of the problem promptly. You can rid your home of it by simply scrubbing it away with a mixture of one part bleach and one part water. Be sure to wear a mask as you do this.
What can mold and mildew cause? It can cause skin irritations, headaches, sore throats, sinus problems and left untreated lead to breathing problems.
Yes, our home can be a sweet place to live. Yet, if our home has problems, it can age us and make us sick. Be aware of some of the dangers that can be hidden within our home’s sweet walls and take care of them promptly, so we all can stay young and feel young.
ABC, WSYX Columbus, Ohio