Many of us dread Christmas. We see the holiday as hectic, draining, and costly. It is time to change that. It is time to see Christmas not as a day but as a season. Below are twenty-five ways to extend your holiday season. For the maximum effect of these ideas, take out your December calendar and try to add one activity a day. You can even use these ideas as you create suggestion #1, making an Advent calendar. By doing a little every day, hopefully you will not feel overwhelmed at any one time and will truly appreciate the whole season.
1. Make or purchase an Advent calendar.
2. Find and read a Christmas story.
3. Revel in Christmas past. Look through your old photo albums.
4. Make your favorite Christmas cookies.
5. Surprise a friend with a plate of cookies.
6. Set aside time to write out your Christmas cards. Put on Christmas music and enjoy a hot cocoa.
7. Decorate your front door.
8. Go to your town’s Christmas tree lighting.
9. Make / Find a Christmas ornament that represents this year.
10. Get your picture taken with Santa or take a great family photo.
11. Go to a Christmas tree farm. IF you don’t want to buy a tree enjoy a walk and maybe get a wreath.
12. Surprise a friend with secret Santa gift.
13. Have some friends over to decorate your tree and sing Christmas carols.
14. Light a Christmas scented candle and decorate a gingerbread house.
15. Buy or make a gift for someone in need. Many department stores have Giving Trees. You can also check with your town’s social services department.
16. Take time to think of those precious to you. Create a memory ornament to commemorate them.
17. Have an Old Fashioned Christmas night. Watch an old movie, listen to some Burl Ives, and string some popcorn & cranberries to put out on a tree.
18. See a Christmas stage show. If there isn’t one nearby or you can’t afford it, try a DVD / movie.
19. Go shopping for a great Christmas outfit.
20. Have a friend over for a wrapping night.
21. Take a ride to see all the Christmas lights.
22. Make and decorate sugar and gingerbread cookies.
23. Read the Christmas story as written in the book of Luke.
24. Go to a Christmas Eve church service and remember the reason for the season.
25. Relax and enjoy the day.