After years and years of dealing with frizzy, messy curly hair, I’ve found a system that works for me every day. If you have naturally curly hair, here’s what to do to have sexy, amazing curly hair!
1. Get the mind frame that curly hair is completely different than straight hair, and know that you can’t care for it the same way as people with curly hair do. Would you put a cashmere sweater in the wash with your towels? I think not!
2. Stop washing your hair with shampoo. Yes, that’s right, you heard me. Shampoos contain ingredients such as Sodium Laureth Sulfate which are terribly abrasive and drying to curly hair. However, if this freaks you out a bit, you can look for shampoos that are sulfate-free, such as the shampoos in the DevaCurl line.
3. Start washing your hair with dimethicone-free conditioners. Its bad to use conditioners that contain any type of “cone” (amodimethicone to name another one) in hair that is not using an abrasive sulfate cleanser. The reason is, these ingredients are not water-soluble, and will not wash out of your hair without using a strong, hair-ruining cleanser. A great conditioner to start with is any Suave Naturals conditioner.
4. Comb out your hair in the shower, with conditioner in it. This is the ONLY time to comb curly hair. If you comb it out of the shower, you will pull out your natural curl.
5. Once out of the shower, squeeze and scrunch the water out of your hair using a bar towel. You can get a pack of five of these at Walmart for about $5 and they work great.
6. As for product, I’ve had success using cremes, mousses, and gels, depending on the humidity and the temperature. Avoid products that contain any type of “cone” again, as well as any type of drying alcohol. One great product to try: AG: ReCoil. Scrunch all product through your hair really well, remember to not comb.
7. For drying you have two options. You can either air dry or use a diffuser. One trick I have found helpful is to get hair claws and, clip up the crown section of my hair. It ads a great amount of volume and avoids the flatness on top that sometimes occurs.
And there you have it! If you follow my suggestions, you should have your hair looking great in no time! For more information about caring for curly hair, checkout naturallycurly.com