The Art Nouveau jewelry period began in the 1890’s and ended with the onset of WWI. Art Nouveau jewelry pieces are usually characteristic for free-flowing and natural patterns, including dragon flies, and curvaceous floral designs along with female faces, pearls and other feminine objects.
When thinking of DIY jewelry, Art Nouveau inspired rings probably don’t come to mind, due to the intricate styles that look complicated to duplicate. Although this may be the case, the fanciful, feminine and fashionable styles of the Art Nouveau jewelry period can be created with ease. Follow these instructions to create an ideal Art Nouveau inspired ring.
Ring mandrel or suitable equipment
15 yards of 20 gauge wire (color of your choice)
1 pearl bead or bead of your choice, with wide enough opening for two pieces of wire to easily fit through.
1. First, place center of wire against the ring mandrel or similar piece of equipment. Wrap the wire around three times at the desired measurement of the ring you are designing, end up with wire ends facing out in opposite directions.
2. Bend the two extended pieces of wire upwards, towards one another.
3. Place the bead onto the extended pieces of wire and slide down to the base of the ring.
4. Now, separate the two extended wire pieces so that one is towards the left side of the bead and the other one is towards the right, matching up with the base of the ring.
5. One side at a time, carry the extended pieces down and wrap them around the base of the bead three times.
6. The bead should now be secured onto the base of the ring.
7. With the wire cutter, carefully cut the remaining wire off.
8. Cut remaining wire pieces into four equal lengths. The remaining wire pieces will now be used to create a simple flower shape.
9. Use the excess wire to secure four loops, one in each direction, by placing the wire at the small space between the base and where the bottom of the bead meets. Wrap around multiple times to make sure the wire pieces are properly secured.
10. Lastly, when the loops are correctly in place, use pliers to shape them into flower petals.
Once all wires are properly secured and petals are shaped to your desire, you are finished creating your very own Art Nouveau Inspired ring.
Carl Blackburn’s Jewelry Glossary and Jewelry Dictionary