While walking down the baking aisle at Publix, I spotted the words ‘new’ on a cake mix package. It was on the bottom shelf, but it caught my eye because the box is much different looking that regular Duncan Hines cake mixes. The package also says “decadent” which is another word I love! I had to buy a box of Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix.
I purchased my box of Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix while it was on special, two for $5.00. I only purchased one at $2.50. That is a little higher than a regular cake mix, but I wanted to try it.
I followed the package directions for the Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix, which are very easy to read. Besides the packaged mix you need water, vegetable oil, three eggs and you are set to go.
The instructions are quite simple:
* Pre-head oven to 350 degrees.
* Prepare your baking pan, grease and flour (see size chart on box for what size pans they recommend).
* Open the smaller of the two pouches and pour into a bowl. It contains fudge and real chocolate chips. Mix the contents with 1/3 cup of water, stir until well mixed and then set aside.
* Open the second pouch, empty into a large bowl and add 3 eggs, one cup of water and 1/3 cup of oil. Mix well.
* Pour contents of second mix into the bottom of your prepared cake pan.
* Use a spoon to drop the contents of the smaller pouch (with the fudge and chips) onto the top of the cake at various places, then use a knife to swirl the mix. (That would be similar to what you do with a marble cake.)
* Bake according to package directions for the appropriate size pan.
* Cool on a rack for 15-20 minutes.
I made the cake in the afternoon and my husband and I each had a slice for dessert that evening. I am not impressed with Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix. The texture of the cake is very unusual. It reminds me of the texture of the microwave cake mixes from a few years ago.
The cake lacked flavor. The chocolate taste of the cake didn’t make it as far as I was concerned. The most flavor came when you got a few pieces of the chocolate chips in your mouth. I would not refer to this cake as “decadent“. I could buy a brand name cake mix at the Dollar Store for $1.00 and add some chocolate chips to the mix. It would have more flavor than the Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix.
You can use a glaze on top of the cake if you like. A while ago I had purchased Duncan Hines Glaze in vanilla, which I used on my husband’s slice of cake. I didn’t care for the taste of the glaze, too artificial and it added nothing to the flavor of the cake.
If you decide to try the Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate Cake Mix, don’t use a 9 x 13 pan, which is what I used. If you try this mix I would recommend using a 9 x 9 pan which would give you a higher cake. That will improve the looks, but it wouldn’t help to improve the flavor.
I would not recommend the Duncan Hines triple Chocolate Cake Mix. At $2.50 on sale, it is not worth the price.
Dunkin Hines Cake Mix