My husband and I have a tradition we started for New Year’s Eve when our daughter was born. We alternate each New Year’s Eve between the adult party and ringing in the New Year with our daughter. Over the years we have found entertaining and fun ways of spending our family New Year’s Eve – some inexpensive and some more expensive depending on our budget that year. The most important thing is that we spend New Year’s Eve as a family having fun and ringing in the New Year just like we want to spend it together. Some great family New Year’s Eve trips and events we have done include:
1. Great Wolf Lodge – We did this just last year and had a wonderful time. The entire water park is indoors so that no matter the weather you can enjoy water slides, pools, lazy rivers and great fun. They have wonderful activities for young kids and tweens and teens love hanging out by the pool or playing video games. Great Wolf Lodge has several locations and is reasonably priced for a long New Year’s Eve weekend.
2. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee – There is so much to do in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge even during the winter. Dollywood is open with great rides, Christmas lights and live shows. Wonder Works and Ripley’s Aquarium are favorites of my family. We rented a log cabin for three days and allowed our daughter to invite two friends. They enjoyed the pool table and video games while my husband and I enjoyed the hot tub. It was a wonderful way to spend a family New Year’s Eve.
3. Disney World – This was our family New Year’s Eve trip to ring in 2000. It was the best trip and was so much fun. The crowds were wild and it ended up raining on New Year’s Eve but Disney never lets rain spoil the fun and we still stood on Main Street and watched the spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks display. Disney World is spectacular at New Year’s Eve and is a perfect way to celebrate with your family.
4. Family Slumber Party – When my daughter was in third grade, we hosted a family slumber party. We invited four other families to spend the night at our home to celebrate New Year’s Eve. We planned crafts, activities and games to entertain everyone and then rang in the New Year with a special countdown, hats, noisemakers and punch. Then we watched movies all night and fixed a family style breakfast before everyone left to go home and get some sleep.
5. Hershey, Pennsylvania – Visiting Hershey, PA any time of year is special but spending New Year’s Eve there with your children is simply magical. There are many attractions to keep the entire family entertained including Hershey Zoo and Hershey Park. Bundle up and enjoy New Year’s Eve at Hershey with the entire family.
Feel free to share your best family New Year’s Eve plans in the comments below – – I am also looking for new ways to spend our family New Year’s Eve. And remember, no matter what you decide to do this year, spend New Year’s Eve with the people that matter the most to you.