As parents we want to send our children to school with a lunch they will eat. That means finding a variety of foods that will be healthy, filling and interesting. Coming up with new ideas for a brown bag lunch is not always easy, but it does not have to be impossible. Here you will find 5 great alternatives to the ordinary school lunch. Try fitting these ideas into your weekly lunch rotations. You will find it easy, and your child will be happy and full.
1. London Broil: If you make london broil for dinner, save a few slices to use for lunch the next day. You can put the slices on whole wheat bread and add some lettuce to the sandwich to make it healthy and yummy. Or you can cut up the slices and place them over lettuce and carrots, etc for a nice steak salad meal. Either way, it is delicious.
2. Chicken Cutlet: Likewise, if you make chicken cutlet for dinner, save some for the next day’s lunch. Leftover chicken cutlets also make great sandwiches and are also delicious in a salad. You can do the same if you make grilled chicken instead of chicken cutlets.
3. Cracker Pizzas: These “pizzas” are easy and not at all messy. You can simply stack your child’s favorite kind of cheese and some small round pepperoni slices on some crackers, and voila…mini “pizzas” that he will love. Pack some grapes or baby carrots to go with the pizzas and this is a fabulous lunch.
4. Meatballs: Another great idea for leftovers, meatballs make amazing sandwiches for lunch. Save a few from dinner, put them on wheat bread and your child will be happily eating his whole lunch.
5. Tuna on Lettuce: For a variation on tuna sandwiches try this alternative to change it up a little. Place the tuna inside romaine lettuce leafs instead of bread. Then send a side of carrot sticks or edamame and this lunch is fun, delicious and healthy too.
When you are looking for an alternative to the ordinary lunch, you can make something that’s both fun and easy. Use your leftovers, or make something new out of an old standard and your child will be thanking you for lunch!