Picking the most nutritious breakfast cereals is no easy task. The cereal aisle at the grocery store can be overwhelming. If you were to believe the packaging, every cereal is healthy. How do you tell the difference between cereals that claim to be healthy and those that really are? It’s simpler than you might think. Here are five quick tips to help you pick the most nutritious breakfast cereals from the pack.
1. Check for a five star rating. When is granola healthy for you? When it contains at least five grams of fiber per serving. Use the rule of five when choosing the most nutritious breakfast cereals for your family. Check for sugar content too. Many supposedly healthy natural cereals contain way too much. Pick those with no sugar when possible. Stick to single ingredients and you can’t go wrong.
2. Be versatile. There are many different types of whole grains. Each one has a specific nutritional benefit. For instance, oat bran helps lower cholesterol. When picking the most nutritious breakfast cereal, remember to diversify. By eating many types of grains, you will get the specific nutritional benefits each has to offer. Don’t be afraid of the unfamiliar when choosing whole grains.
3. Look for bran or whole grain. Many cereals contain wheat and oats. How do you pick the ones that are most nutritional? One way is to look for the word bran. Bran is the whole grain before it’s processed. Some cereals might list it as whole grain. Once again, remember to check for that five star rating. Just because it contains whole grain, doesn’t mean it’s five grams or more per serving.
4. Don’t be fooled. Watch for broad claims and misleading wording. Look for actual percentages. Cereal boxes can be misleading. As more people wise up about nutrition, breakfast cereals make more healthy claims to get your attention. Always read the label for accurate nutritional information. Don’t be fooled by the bold claims on the front of the box when picking the most healthy breakfast cereals.
5. Think outside the box. Breakfast cereal isn’t just for breakfast any more. Any whole grain can be added to baked goods or sprinkled over casseroles for a crispy crunch. Stir them into yogurt or toss them with fruit. When shopping for nutritious whole grain cereals, think how you can incorporate them into other dishes for the most nutritional benefit.