As a child, I loved to make my hair flyaway by running a balloon over it to create static electricity. As an adult, flyaway hair caused by static electricity, especially in the dry winter air, is not as desirable. It seems that brushing your hair just makes the static worse causing hair to flyaway even more. Gels, creams and other hair products left my hair sticky rather than soft, shiny and manageable. Rubbing a fabric softener over my hair as many articles advise just does not seem like a good way to prevent flyaway hair during the winter. I wanted to find ways to tame flyaway hair without overusing hairstyling products or smelling like a dryer sheet. These five solutions for flyaway hair work for me every winter.
1. Skip the daily shampoo – I know some women who say they just cannot skip a day; however, shampoos will dry your hair by stripping the natural oils. This causes flyaway hair to be worse, especially in the winter when the air is dry. Therefore, during the winter shampoo every other day or switch to a less harsh, moisturizing shampoo.
2. Condition every time you shampoo – This is important to keep you hair moisturized during the winter. Apply a good moisturizer after every wash and add a leave in conditioner for the winter months.
3. Use an ion hair dryer and skip the flat iron – Ion hair dryers claim to add negative ions to your hair to prevent flyaway hair. Even though there is no strong evidence that this works, I faithfully use my ion hairdryer to prevent flyaway hair. I also style my hair by taking advantage of the natural wave and curl during the winter. Avoiding the flat iron decreases the damage to my hair during the winter and helps to reduce flyaway hair.
4. Decrease chemical treatments – Coloring hair and other chemical hair treatments can strip natural oils from hair causing it to be dry. During the winter, try to avoid chemical treatments to help reduce flyaway hair.
5. Use a smoothing crème (sparingly) – For the worst flyaway hair, some hair product is required; however, use it sparingly to avoid weighing your hair down. Anti-frizz serums and smoothing crèmes are excellent products to tame flyaway hair during the winter because they are designed to smooth and hold hair without the sticky buildup that other styling products leave on the hair.