Macon has a variety of locally-owned and nationally known seafood places. The following is my Top 5 of the best seafood places in town:
1. Jim Shaw’s on Vineville Avenue is one of Macon’s more well-known locally owned restaurants. The service was great and the prices were reasonable. One of my favorite items was the fried shrimp and the scallops. It can get a little crowded at times, especially on the weekends. I would probably go earlier in the week. However, the environment is really subdued and peaceful. I would certainly recommend this place.
2. Pier 97 Seafood & Grill on Riverside Drive is another solid choice. If you traveling, this would be a great place to have lunch. Pier 97 has a full service bar and various lunch specials. I am a fan of their pasta and crab legs. There is a variety of wines available for customers as well. The environment is friendly and the service is fast and professional.
3. Red Lobster on Riverside Drive has been around for awhile and I recall after an office party and we had chosen Red Lobster, and it was a great experience. The food was excellent and I love their side dishes such as their hush puppies and baked potato. The salmon was excellent and for desert I would recommend their key lime pie. Nice atmosphere, the prices were reasonable. On a side note, they have smoothies at this location. If you are an out of town visitor is a little further away from the Riverside hotel district, but it is approximately a five-minute ride down Riverside.
4. Corky Bells off Riverside Drive is near the hotel district off Interstate 75 at Exit 169, and within walking distance of hotels such as the Travelodge-North and Quality Inns and Suites. This Corky Bells location is one of the more newer restaurants. It is generally busy on the weekends. Recently, they had added an outdoor dining area which adds a nice touch to the restaurant. Their catfish is great along with their shrimp. However, Corky Bells close a little earlier than expected on some nights. If you are able to get there by 5 or 6 pm, you should be In good shape.
5. Long John Silver’s on Pio Nono is located more in the central district of Macon, and this restaurant has been around for decades, but still a very popular place. One of may favorite foods is their breaded fish and their hush puppies. Nice service and if you are coming on from a long day of work or getting off the interstate,this place is something that I would recommend.