If you’re an apple pie fan, you have to try this twist on the All-American favorite. Fresh, juicy pears, lemon and butter combine to make a flavor sensation that’s good anytime of year.
1 prepared 9 inch pie crust. (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
5 cups peeled and sliced pears
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1. Combine sugars, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon zest in large mixing bowl.
2. Add pear slices, tossing to mix well, ensuring that each pear slice is coated.
3. Arrange pears in layers in a 9 inch pastry lined pan.
4. Dot with butter and sprinkle with lemon juice
5. Prepare crumb topping by mixing butter, brown sugar and flour together. (Mixture should be coarse.)
6. Pour crumbles over pie, making sure entire pie is covered.
7. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree F ( 177 degrees C ) for approximately one hour.
Note: Pie may be served hot or cold. Whipped topping or ice cream pair well with this pie. For a special treat, drizzle warm caramel sauce over each slice as it is served.
Sources: This recipe is from the author’s own recipe files.