Autumn is a great season to enjoy with your children. With the weather becoming cooler, and the holidays approaching, this is the time to spend in the outdoors with your family.
Here is a list of fun activities for you and your children.
1. Decorate your house for fall – I could not wait for this time of year when I was young. To me it marked the change from the hot summer to the enjoyable cool weather. Make this a day with you and your children. You can change the decorations in your house, put up things for Halloween, and give your home a whole new feel. By taking the time and doing this with your children, you can enjoy family time and accomplish what you probably would already have planned for your house.
2. Make a fire on a cool night (if you have a fire pit) – This is one of our family favorites. We had built a simple fire pit from stones in our yard (you can read more on this with my “Easily build a stone fire pit”, part of my Associated Content articles), and we use benches we reclaimed from the trash. This is a great place to talk and just enjoy the weather. You can make smores, tell scary stories, and watch the fire. We even will roast hot dogs on sticks and eat our dinner by the fire.
3. Take a walk in the woods – This is a good time to get outside and get some exercise. From my experience most kids will enjoy the scenery of the woods as they can explore nature. With leaves raining on them the outdoors will have a whole new look to them. On the hike you can hunt for leaves, find cool pieces of wood and sticks, take pictures of the changing woods. You can do all this and your children won’t even realize that they are exercising.
4. Enjoy the leaves – There are so many fun things to do with leaves, I doubt that I could list them all. You can run through them, jump into a pile, have a hunt for certain leaves, or even just watch them fall. The time where leaves fall is short lived, so have fun when you can.
5. Take a hayride – For some reason I always enjoy climbing into the hay trailer and taking a ride with my family. Some places you have to pay for a hayride, but where we picked our pumpkins last fall, everyone got a free ride to and from the fields, that was a good day. So if you look around you may find a fall festival in your area that offers them for free.
6. Pumpkin picking – This is another family favorite. On a cool, clear day this is a great activity for your kids to enjoy. We let our kids pick one big carving pumpkin and some small gourds or pumpkins apiece, this allows them to spend their time searching for the right ones. It is always fun to see what they think is a great pumpkin find. For the few dollars that you will spend, this is a way to have some family time.
For us just about any activity with the whole family involved is a good time in the fall. This is a great time for families to enjoy nice weather and nature.