This is truly a cake for the fall and holiday season. It is very moist and with a cream cheese frosting, absolutely delicious. Takes less then an hour to prepare from scratch and has about 10 servings.
– 1 package gingerbread cake mix
– 1 pound canned pumpkin
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup applesauce
– 1/3 cup water
– 1/2 cup butter – softened
– 8 ounces cream cheese – softened
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 pound powdered sugar
milk to thin frosting
* Combine cake mix, pumpkin, soda, eggs, water and applesauce.
* Beat until smooth.
* Spread into 2 ungreased round cake pans.
* Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes.
* Allow to cool 10 minutes and then turn them out on racks to cool completely.
* When cool, spread cream cheese frosting on top of the first cake.
* Then place the second cake on top of the frosted first cake and frost the top of the second cake.
* You can frost the sides of the cake as well, if desired.
* Cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
* Gradually add powdered sugar.
* If the mixture is too thick, thin it out with a little milk.
This cake is great for any holiday get together, try it with a cup of hot apple cider, it is fantastic!