One of the best thing about homeschooling is that you are not confined to just your home or school but can allow the student to explore his or her talents and interests. I would allow my son to choose short term projects and long term projects. Small projects would be due every other week while large projects would be set for fall and spring breaks. He would have to give an age appropriate presentation on his topic in order to “pass”.
Here are some examples:
- Learning more about the history of karate,practice more at home and then he could enter the local or state tournament
- Learn the history of a time period in history, learn a piece from there and perform in the local talent show
- Research a city with in a 6 hour radius and do a presentation. Once complete we would go to these sties during one of the tow breaks
- Learn about the history of our state and pick local sites such as the capital, the local history museum
- Job shadowing people with jobs of interest
This can be a lesson based upon the child’s interest and changed each year to meet grade requirements.