When buying ginger from you local Charlotte Farmers Markets, look for ginger that is firm and doesn’t have wrinkles. The “branches” of ginger are more flavorful than the “trunk” of gingerroot. Fresh, unpeeled from the market can last in the refrigerator for up to three weeks and frozen for four-six months.
Why Ginger (other than flavor)?
- Headaches: Prostagladins, which cause headaches by causing inflammation of the blood vessels int he brain, can be blocked with ginger. Ginger has been associated with alleviation of the feeling of nausea, even in case of pregnant women.
- Pain Relief: not only can ginger help relieve headaches, but it can also help relieve inflammation which is the cause of the pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Stomach Health: Ginger has been known to relieve bloating and gas, which can cause stomach pain and cramps. It is also helpful in alleviating menstrual cramps.
- Cholesterol: Ginger has been known to alleviate inflammation and help lower cholesterol.
- Body Temperature: Ginger is know to promote warmer body temperatures in the upper respiratory tract, which helps treat colds and the flu.
- Mood Treatment: Cineole in ginger is known to help relieve stress, in effect, enhancing mood and stabilizing mood swings.
- Oral Health: Ginger is a natural breath and mouth freshener and can help promote good digestion.