There are a million different foods that we associate with the holidays, turkey, stuffing, and delicious desserts are among some of the favorites. Even though fattening foods are the norm, they do not have to be the only option when it comes to holiday cuisine. Here are some unique ideas that are delicious and healthy.
1. Roast Chicken- by roasting your chicken rather than frying it you can keep all the nutrients and moisture without the fat. Try adding spices like rosemary and thyme to make it interesting.
2. Chicken Pinwheels- these can double as a main course or an appetizer. Take a flour or corn tortilla and wrap up grilled chicken and your favorite veggies then slice into one inch sections with a toothpick through the center to keep everything in place. These are light and delicious and fun to eat.
3. Grilled Fruit- by grilling the fruit you release natural sugars so that you do not have to add extra making grilled fruit a healthy and tasty holiday dessert that is sure to warm up even the coldest days.
4. Roasted Veggies- you can take every day vegetables and make them extraordinary with the addition of different flavors and spices. You are only limited by your imagination with this recipe as you can add just about any spice to your vegetables.
5. Stuffed Peppers- Take a mix of dried berries and rice and stuff your peppers and roast them. The mix of dried fruit and rice makes for a meaty texture without any of the added fat and makes these peppers unique and tasty.
6. Sweet Potato and Lentil Stuffing- sweet potatoes are a favorite at any holiday and by using them in your stuffing as opposed to bread you can reduce your calories without having to compromise great taste.
7. Smoked Salmon Frittata- this is a great option if you have overnight guests after the holidays. This is a light egg dish much like a quiche that is light and delicious but also filling.
Any of these recipes are great for the holidays and can be adapted to suit your own preferences.