Unique pillar candle displays are a great way to add holiday style to your home this year. This simple to create red and greens stars pillar candleholder is a fabulous option for a mantle or holiday dinner table.
For this project, you will need:
– One unfinished wooden pillar candle in any height (available at craft supply shops)
– Unfinished wooden star cutouts in a variety of sizes (available at craft supply shops)
– Medium or fine grit sandpaper
– Tack cloth or other similar style soft cloth
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Banner Red
Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Emerald Green
– Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Finishing Spray
– Krylon Glitter Spray in Glamorous Green
– Hot glue gun with glue sticks
– Cream or white colored pillar candle
– Newsprint and/or a large drop cloth
Before starting this pillar candle project, cover the space you will be crafting it at with several sheets of old newsprint and/or a large sized drop cloth. Evenly and gently sand the unfinished wooden pillar candleholder with medium or fine grit sandpaper sheets. Wipe down the pillar candleholder with a tack cloth or other similar style soft cloth to remove any grit caused by sanding.
Prime the entire outside of the wooden pillar candleholder using Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Let the primed wood dry for two to three hours. Paint the candleholder using a few even coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Banner Red. Keep adding red paint coats until you reach a bright and bold hue. Let the candleholder dry completely. Spray the piece using three or more coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Finishing Spray. Dry overnight.
Just as you did with the unfinished wooden pillar candleholder, sand down each of the star shapes with a piece of medium or fine grit sandpaper. Use as many star shapes as you desire for the finished project to have. Wipe down the shapes with a tack cloth or other style soft cloth. Prime both sides of each star cutout with a few even coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Once dry, paint each star using Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Emerald Green. Use several coats. Let the star shapes dry for a couple hours. Apply a light coating of Krylon Glitter Spray in Glamorous Green to each of the star shapes and dry overnight.
Heat up the hot glue gun. Apply a generous dot of glue to the back of one star shape. Adhere the star shape to the side of the red painted pillar candleholder. Repeat this process until all the star cutouts have been attached to the candleholder. Let the glue cool completely before adding a cream or white colored pillar candle.