The simple silhouette of a hanging chandelier has become a chic addition to home decor accessories. This fun project takes this design and adds it to a simple wood coffee table.
For this project, you will need (per coffee table):
– One unfinished wooden coffee table or refurbished wooden coffee table
– Medium grit sandpaper sheets
– Tack cloth or other similar type of soft cloth
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Satin Ballet Slipper
– Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss White
– Large chandelier shaped silhouette wall stencil (available online and at home improvement warehouses)
– Butcher paper
– Craft knife
– Self healing mat
– Masking tape
– Krylon Polyurethane Clear Gloss Paint
– Newsprint and/or a large drop cloth
To keep your work area clean, cover it with several sheets of old newsprint and/or a large drop cloth before you start this coffee table project. If you are refurbishing an existing coffee table, remove any paint or stain with paint stripper prior to starting. Also, if the table has any hardware remove it first. Carefully sand the coffee table with a few sheets of medium grit sandpaper. Pay extra attention to any rough areas or spots on the table.
Prime the entire outside of the coffee table using an even layer of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Primer in All-Purpose White. Let the table dry fully. Apply six to seven even coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Satin Ballet Slipper. Allow the soft pink colored paint to dry overnight.
Lay out the sheet of butcher paper. In pencil, trace the chandelier silhouette design onto the paper. Put the paper onto the self healing mat and cut out the design with a craft knife. Discard the silhouette cutout.
Adhere the butcher paper to the top of the table with masking tape. Spray the exposed chandelier design with Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss White. Wait for ten minutes before adding a second coat. Dry completely.
Spray the entire table with a few good layers of Krylon Krylon Polyurethane Clear Gloss Paint. (This will help protect the table during use.) Let the coffee table dry overnight before using.
TIP: This project also looks great when Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Gloss Black is used instead of light pink paint. For a funkier look, also consider a bright green paint such as Krylon Indoor Outdoor Paint in Ivy Leaf.