Who’s your favorite Backyardigan? The Backyardigans is a children’s show that showcases the imaginary adventures of five animal friends, Uniqua, Tyrone, Pablo, Tasha and Austin. Without leaving their backyard, the Backyardigans imagination has taken them from the high seas to deep in the heart of the jungle. Each episode is filled with eclectic songs that children can sing and dance along to.
The Backyardigans is my daughter’s favorite children’s show. Whenever she hears the theme song, she breaks into a dancing frenzy. When it came time to celebrate her first birthday, I knew it couldn’t be complete without having the perfect birthday cake. I decided to make a cake to replicate one of the Backyardigans, Uniqua.
With just a few ingredients, I transformed a plain round cake into one of my daughter’s favorite characters. If your child loves the Backyardigans then this easy cake design will help you design your own version of Uniqua in less time it takes to watch a Backyardigan episode.
– 1 (9-inch) round cake
– 6 mini cupcakes
– 2 cans (16 oz) vanilla frosting
– Pink food coloring
– Blue food coloring
– ¼ c chocolate morsels
What you’ll need:
– A serving platter
– A bread knife
– One small bowl
Frosting the cake:
1.Using one of the frosting cans, set aside 3 tbsp of the vanilla frosting.
2.With the other can of vanilla frosting, tint the frosting to a medium pink with the food coloring (about 20 drops) Then cover the top and sides of the cake until smooth.
3.Using the remaining vanilla frosting from the 1st can, mix about 20 drops of pink food coloring with 2-3 drops of blue food coloring for desired magenta(dark pink) color.
4.Outline four half circles off the edge of the round cake with a clean knife.
5. Using the tip of a butter knife/ mini spatula, fill in the half circles with the dark pink frosting.
6. Frost the six mini cupcakes with the dark pink frosting.
7. With the tip of a knife, use the remaining 3 tbsp of vanilla frosting and make two oval eyes near the upper half of the cake. Make sure the eyes overlap parts of the dark pink half circles.
8. Using the chocolate morsels, fill in the white eyes. Then create a smile using the chocolate morsels.
9. Align the cupcakes on the top of the cake so that they curve in slightly.
Now you have created your own version of Uniqua. Hope your child enjoys eating up their favorite Backyardigan as much as my daughter did. Take a chance and try your hand at recreating one of the other Backyardigans into a delectable cake.