Goat’s milk has soothing and moisturizing properties that hydrate your skin making it soft and supple. All natural goat’s milk lotion is easy to make, less costly and healthier than store bought. Follow this simple recipe and then indulge your skin.
A large glass (not plastic) measuring cup like Pyrex brand
A microwave safe bowl
Wooden stirring sticks – like from a coffee shop
A heat resistant rubber or silicone spatula
Electric hand held mixer
Containers for lotion – reuse cleaned lotion containers or glass jars
Ingredients – ebay is a good source for buying the small batches needed
Goat’s milk lotion 16 oz recipe:
4 oz goat’s milk
4 oz distilled water
1) Heat the milk and water together in a bowl in microwave until warm, about a minute, don’t boil, set aside.
1 oz emulsifying wax
.5 oz shea butter
.5 oz cocoa butter
4 oz sweet almond butter or oil
2 oz glycerin
a few drops of vitamin E
2) Combine and melt in glass measuring cup in 30 second intervals in microwave, stir between and don’t boil. Alternatively if you don’t have a microwave you can submerge the glass measuring cup into a large pot of boiling water for the “double-boiler” method.
3) Then combine the milk and water with the melted oils and waxes in the glass measuring cup.
4) Add 1 oz of citric acid and stir in until it disappears.
5) If you want to add essential oils or fragrance oils add them now, use around 10-15 drops.
6) Then use electric mixer on a low speed for about 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy consistency. Pour into storage container(s). Lotion will thicken overnight. Store in refrigerator or freezer for optimal freshness.
For a thicker recipe just leave out the distilled water.
For a vegan recipe using coconut milk instead of goat’s milk, click here.
More eco-DIY links:
Click here for all-natural lip balm recipes
Click here for homemade cleaning recipes using natural ingredients
Click here for eco-flip-flops