As much as I love shopping at QVC, especially for clothes, I have experienced a few disappointments from time to time. My latest was a pair of jeans from Denim & Company, which is QVC’s private denim line. They are called the “How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans.
I don’t care how old or young a woman is, she always thinks her figure could use some help. One of the areas that few women enjoy about themselves is their stomachs. They never believe they are small or flat enough.
The purpose of the “How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jean is supposed to be to slim that problem area of a woman’s body. But do they work?
If my two tries at getting jeans from this line are any indication, then I’d have to say they don’t work. Perhaps; however, that has more to do with Denim & Company sizing than the jean itself.
Let me first admit that I rarely have problems with the fit of clothes I order from QVC. I have had tremendous success in choosing the right tops, bottoms, lingerie and shoes. I can generally stick to my actual size, as outlined by QVC’s size chart, and have a direct hit. Only occasionally is there a miss and none have been so big as this one.
With the “How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans I’ve had two huge misses. The first time I ordered the same size that I normally do with any Denim & Company, Quacker Factory or any other QVC brand. Unfortunately, the jeans were so small that I couldn’t get them past my hips.
The second time I ordered the next size up. This time, they were big enough to fit both my granddaughter and myself at the same time. Since there was no size in between the two I tried, I was royally out of luck.
“How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans are meant to be fitted at the waist; to skim the hips and then to flare down the leg like a standard bootcut. That much they sort of manage to do.
The unique thing about these jeans is that they contain a secret panel that is hidden inside. Its purpose is to flatten the stomach make it appear firm and tight. However, in my case, it obviously didn’t work since the jeans were too big and the panel doesn’t make contact with the stomach.
The concept behind this tummy slimming panel is great. Most women would rather not have to wear a separate shaping garment along with their jeans. Unfortunately, if it doesn’t work, that is exactly what they end up doing. That breaks up the line of the jeans and adds additional bulk in the areas where it is least wanted.
Additionally, these jeans do nothing to prevent the dreaded muffin top. No matter how good the secret tummy slimming panel might be, if the jeans are too tight in the waist, then that cupcake look is still going to happen.
The jeans themselves, apart from the tummy slimming panel, are nothing extraordinary. They boast a sleek silhouette, but I have seen much better ones on cheaper denim pants. They are, in fact, too high on the waist and too loose in the hips; a kind of throw back to those ugly “mom jeans” all women deplore.
“How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans claim to be comfortable whether you are moving around, sitting or standing. I can’t speak to that since I couldn’t find a pair to fit me. However, I have my doubts based upon the second pair that was too big. Despite the extra inches in the hips and waist, I found them uncomfortable for just the few minutes I had them on.
The “How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans are done in a standard five-pocket style with a generous bootcut leg. They zip and button in front and have loops for those who wish to wear a belt.
There is embroidery on the back pocket, which is often standard with jeans. Matched buttons and studs complete the denim look.
These jeans come in sizes from 4 to 28 Women’s. They come in petite (29″ inseam), regular (31 ½” inseam) and tall (34″ inseam). There is no size listing for the rise between the waist and the crotch.
The jeans contain 1% spandex. The remainder of the garment is 99% cotton. The tummy panel is 8% spandex and 92% nylon.
“How Fitting” Tummy Slimming Bootcut Jeans can be machine washed and tumbled dry or hand washed and laid flat to dry. They are shrink resistant but will decrease in size slightly because of the cotton fabric.
These jeans retail for $28.24 with a shipping and handling cost of $5.47. They can be returned, if not satisfied, within 30 days for most of the year. Around Christmas, anything purchased after October 1st is returnable until January 31st of the following year.
Refunds are granted without a request for reason and can be done via cash back, credit card adjustment, or an in-house gift-certificate.