Jobs in customer service can be difficult to hold because they take a tremendous amount of patience. Customer service representatives are often faced with brash and belligerent customers who make the job seem not worth working. These types of jobs do not have to be stressful, however; they can be quite bearable if the customer service representative remains calm and willing to follow the steps below.
1. Customer service representatives should talk slowly. Talking slowly is very important in customer service jobs. Representatives will talk with a range of people who will hold different accents and others who will not understand English as well because it may not be their native language. It will present great obstacle and frustration if customer service representatives talk too fast to the customers. Representatives must be sure to talk slowly and clearly when dealing with all customers.
2. Customer service representatives should avoid using sarcasm. Representatives will deal with plenty of customers who ask similar questions throughout the day and so repetition can cause the representatives to feel frustrated. There are also those customers who ask “simple minded” questions that may make representatives want to respond in a sarcastic response. Customer service representatives must remember that their job is to help customers and provide them with the most positive experience as possible. Using sarcasm is similar to belittling someone and this can lead to greater problems where the customer may threaten to report the representative.
3. Customer service representatives must remember to empathize. Having empathy is a very important part of the job. When a representative expresses empathy they show that they care about the person’s problem. This will make the customer feel comfortable and more able to express themselves clearly. A representative that empathizes can dissuade a customer that calls in with a nasty attitude.
4. Customer service representatives should have a cheery can do personality. If representatives go into work with the mindset of positively helping others they will automatically relieve some of their stress. Customers who deal with a willing representative may gain an enthusiastic persona in return thus making the job much easier.
5. Customer service representatives should listen to the customers. There is the saying that the customer is always right but few representatives actually follow this saying. Since many representatives are used to following procedure they do not often listen to the customer’s actual complaint. Representatives should avoid being mechanical in their responses. They should listen to the customers to try and come up with different solutions to help them with their problem.