This article is the recipe for making tasty South Indian Sambhar. The following recipe is for two persons.
Vegetables (Drumstick, Green Peppers, Eggplant, Okra)
Fenugreek seeds, Red chillies, Green chillies
Curry leaves, Pidi Hing, Mustard
Salt to taste
1. Grind two spoons of sambhar masala with little coconut less than a pidi. A pidhi is a mutthi in hindi language.
2. Take two pidhi of tuvar dal in a pressure cooker. Wait for five or more whistles in the pressure cooker. Dal requires more time to cook. Cook it well; there is little chance of over-cooking.
3. Put a small quantity of tamarind in water.
4. Cut the vegetables for sambhar and cook it with salt and turmeric powder.
5. When the vegetables are done, add the tamarind water to it. Make it boil for couple of minutes.
6. Now, add the cooked dal to it, again bring to boil and then add the masala.
7. When the sambhar starts boiling, do the tadka with mustard seeds, red chillies and kadi patta.
8. Let it boil for five minutes and serve it hot.