People are always looking for ways to hide their physical shortcomings. It seems that people will go to extreme lenghts to improve a defect, or a perceived defect. However there are those of us who really do have a defect, and live with it daily. I happen to be one of those. Due to a childhood brain tumor, I was left with a blind left eye, and a prosthesis. Over the years, various surgeries have been performed to try to correct deterioration and sagging of the eye socket and surrounding tissues. Luckily the surgeries were considered a medical necessity and covered by insurance. However, after three of these surgeries, I was informed not much else could be done. Future surgeries could subtract from corrections already done.
I have had silicone placed in my check bone to lift the orbital floor, skin grafted from the inside of my mouth to create a better lower eyelid to hold the prosthesis, and the latest was a necessary removal of the inner eye itself, and placement of an orbital implant. Seems over the years, the inside of the eye had hardened, when it should have been liquid. This resulted in pain every time I moved my prosthesis. I now wear a prosthesis over the orbital implant. The end result is, the eye is sunken and not much eyelid fat remains. Not that I am vain, but I’ve had to discover various tricks to detract from my blind eye. It is tantamount to someone trying to detract from a nose they don’t like or from what they consider to be ears that are too large. What follows, are some of the tricks I have discovered. Maybe some of these can help someone else who is blind, and thinks it is noticeable.
1) I have learned to never have hair flowing towards the blind eye. I part my hair on the bind side, and let the bangs drape over the good eye. Also, I have noticed that a center part works well too. Curly hair or waves seem to detract from the eye as well.
2) I stay away from accenting my eye with dark eye liner or eye shadow. Lighter colors seem to work better at making the sunken appearance less noticeable.
3) Often, the skin around and above the eye looks tired, and sometimes darker. Before applying any makeup, I put on under eye stick or cream to even out the skin tone. Face foundation doesn’t work as well, and even runs into the blind eye.
4) I would go a step further with eye makeup and suggest not wearing any mascara or eyeliner at all. After all, eyeliner is meant to accentuate an eye. I am trying to attract attention elsewhere.
5) The best make up scheme is actually no eye makeup at all, even including eyeshadow. I concentrate on face foundation, checks, and lips, all in natural tones. That way, people notice the overall effect, instead of the eyes, which so many people actually make up too heavily.
Without the intent of being corny, the best suggestion is to be just who you are. A great personality and humor go a long way towards making a person attractive, no matter what little defects they may have.
Probably the worst part of being blind, is knowing that I could have been much more attractive with a normal eye. I sometimes wonder what that would have been like. But then again, it is part of who I am and has made me more empathetic to others who have problems of any sort. Maybe that is why my careers have always been with those who need help. Also, I often look at wonderful eye makeups and interesting shades, wishing I could wear them. Then again, I am the type who looks like I belong on the street corner with too much makeup. The bottom line is, I’m blessed to be alive after a brain tumor as a child, so I feel guilty complaining about anything!
Many of my friends and family members wonder why I need to detract from my blind eye. Perhaps others see nothing askew. But often, we are our own worst enemies and notice every little detail. Regardless, knowing a few tricks to detract from my eye, gives me more self confidence. Until doctors can come up with a better solution, these tricks will have to do. Maybe these suggestions will help you or someone you know who struggles with a blind eye that they think is noticeable.