As those of you who play Lord of the Rings Online (which will be called lotro during this article) know, lotro has gone free to play (f2p) recently. This has led to many questions over the Out-Of-Character (OOC) and Advice chat channels. After having to constantly hear new players ask about how to get a mount, I have finally decided to write an article to hopefully get rid of these questions (but let’s face it, they’ll never google the question, will they?)
If you’re a F2P Player:
1) Get 195 Turbine Points. This can easily be done by “grinding” on deeds such as killing wolves in ered luin, or killing goblins in The Shire. Of course, if you dont want to spend time on this, you can always pay for Turbine Points or subscribe
2) Get 500 silver pieces. This can be fairly time consuming, but if you really want the horse, you’re gonna do what you have to, eh? The way I did it was to go into Northern Barrow-downs (was level 18 before I did), found one of the small barrows and killed nearly everything inside and sold everything but what I could turn in for reputation points (Trust me, you’ll know what I’m talking about when you see them.)
3) Once you have both of these things, open up the LOTRO Store button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Go to the Travel section, and there should be the riding skill to purchase for 195 Turbine Points. Please note, this only unlocks on the character you are currently playing on.
4) Once you have the riding skill, go to the Northern Bree Fields area. You should find the horsefields and a few people selling horses. Talk to them, find a horse you want, and buy it with the 500 Silver you saved up earlier.
If you’re a VIP player.
1) Get to level 20. Easy to do if you are grinding in the Barrow-downs. While doing so, save up 200 silver coins.
2) Once at level 20 you will get a quest to get the riding skill. Complete this quest and the skill is yours. Now go into the horsefields mentioned above and buy your horse.
Now that you know how to get your mount’s please stop flooding the chat with questions as to how to get them. As a matter of fact, refer people to this page, maybe we can get rid of the question entirely.