The birdcage plant light will add beauty to any room. You can find birdcages with a stand at flea markets, yard sales or eBay. The birdcage light is a stunning way to add a unique decorating element to any room. The birdcage plant light also makes a great night light for a bedroom or hallway. Paint the birdcage in pink or blue, and use it as a night light for your kid’s bedroom. The birdcage plant light can also be painted in holiday colors, such as gold or silver, and used to decorate the home for the holidays. Place mini holiday Christmas ornaments throughout the plant for an added touch of elegance.
Birdcage Plant Light
Medium clay flower pot with saucer
Battery operated window candle
Small vine plants (philodendron)
Ivory spray paint
Ivory acrylic paint
Birdcage with stand
1. Depending on the condition of the birdcage, wash it with a damp sponge. If there are any rough areas or chipped paint, gently rub the rough edges of the birdcage with sandpaper. Wipe the birdcage thoroughly to make sure all paint chips are removed from the cage and stand.
2. In a well ventilated area, spray paint the birdcage and stand ivory. Let dry. When the stand and cage are completely dried, check to make sure all areas are covered. If there are areas that need more paint, repeat the painting process.
3. Place the clay pot and saucer on a covered work area. Paint both the outside and inside of the flower pot, and both sides of the saucer with the ivory acrylic paint. Let dry. Repeat the painting process in there are any areas that need more paint.
4. Start replanting the vine plants into the flower pot using the proper soil. Each plant should come with planting and care instructions. Plant the vines so they remain mainly around the edges of the flower pot, and try to keep the center vine-free. Once the vines begin to grow, I like to weave the vine throughout the wire part of the birdcage. I have also found that philodendron plants are a great plant choice for this birdcage light. If you don’t want to use real plants, you can use silk vine plants.
5. Place some moss to the center of the pot. Place the flower pot and saucer in the center of the birdcage. Place the battery-operated window candle in the center of the pot, and on the moss. You may need to gently push the candle into the moss, or add a little moss around the bottom of the light to help hold it steady.
Plow and Earth offers a beautifully designed window candle perfect for the birdcage plant light project.