These cupcakes take the cake!
Sure we have all heard of tie dye apparel – it is one thing to tie dye cotton, but tie dying your cupcakes is a whole new ballgame. Making cupcakes that are tie dye is much easier than you might think. You don’t even make them from scratch; at least I don’t so I will not be explaining a cupcake recipe here, but how to make fun cupcakes from a plain boring boxed cake mix. Cupcake flavors that work the best for this little project are of course white, angel food, and yellow which is what I chose. Choose a flavor that you will be able to add color to. You may even be able to pull off strawberry flavored cupcakes if you don’t add any green coloring.
Rainbow Tie Dye Cupcake Creations: Materials Needed
-One box of cake mix along with the eggs, water, and oil that it calls for
-One tub of your favorite frosting
-A variety pack of food coloring
-Bowls and spoons, enough to accommodate the amount of colors you want
-Cupcake tin that will hold 24 cupcakes or however many the box yields
Cupcake baking cups
Cupcake decorating supplies
Rainbow Tie Dye Cake Creations: Instructions
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Prepare the cake batter by following the instructions on the box of cake mix.
3. Separate the cake mix evenly into your bowls.
4. Choose which color will go into which bowl.
5. Squeeze a generous amount of food coloring into the bowl that you have designated to be associated with that color.
6. Mix it up pretty well; it’s ok if it isn’t completely mixed because it will add swirls of extra colorful parts throughout your cupcake.
7. Spoon a little bit of one color batter into each of your cupcake baking cups.
8. Spoon a little bit of another color of batter into each of your cupcake baking cups. Repeat until you are out of batter or the cupcake baking cups are 3/4 of the way full.
9. Bake them according to the instructions on your box of cake mix.
10. When your cupcakes have come out of the oven and had a chance to cool off, frost them.
11. Gobble them all up with your loved ones!
These rainbow tie dyed cupcakes are so easy to make and so much fun. If you are a parent who has to bring cupcakes for a party at your child’s school or for a bake sale, you will be the favorite if you bring along these pretty cupcakes. You can also incorporate the same ideas with a cake that you have made at home to accommodate special dietary needs.
If you want to use this idea for making cupcakes or a regular cake for a wedding you could choose to just use a couple of colors that match your wedding. All of your guests will be surprised to see how special and unique your cake is once it has been cut!
You may also be interested in the How to Make Rainbow Tie Dye Cupcakes Slideshow for some tie dye cupcake photos.