When there just are not enough minutes in a day to complete everything planned in a schedule, dinner often becomes a neglected task. It is always helpful to know when you can cut corners without sacrificing health or taste. One of the best ways to save time is to make baked potatoes in the microwave. Follow these steps for a very quick, simple and oh-so-good side dish, snack or small meal.
1. After choosing your potato or potatoes, run water over them and hand wash the skin of the potato.
2. Use fork to poke or stab the potato three times on the top side as well as the bottom side. This will allow the potato to cook through faster.
3. Find a plastic shopping bag and insert the potatoes inside along with about 4 tablespoons of water. The water will steam the potato and soften the inside.
4. Tie off the bag with a simple knot to hold the steam inside the bag.
5. Insert the bag of potatoes into the microwave, with the tie side up.
6. If baking one medium sized potato, heat for approximately five minutes. For every additional potato, add 2 minutes. It is better to undercook than to overcook. You can always cook longer if needed.
7. Remove carefully; the potatoes will be hot. Open and enjoy!
The potato can be eaten plain, butter and salted or fully loaded with bacon, cheese and sour cream. However you choose to eat your potato, it is likely your family will be enjoying this staple food more often. The ease and time saved by using the microwave will allow you more time for everything else on your checklist while still providing you with the health and nutrients your body needs to keep going.