With more and more airlines charging for bags, it has become even more important to pack smarter. Over packing even when you aren’t being charged is one of the biggest travel mistakes. Lugging around heavy bags in a new city is no way to start your vacation and it can make you a bigger target for theft and other crimes. Here are a few simple tips to help you lighten your load.
1. Beware aware of the weather and the climate you are going too. This will help avoid packing outfits for every possible season. Narrowing it down will help you lighten your load. If it the climate is erratic and you don’t know if you should expect 90 degree weather or snow, be sure to use tip number 6.
2. Check before hand what your hotel provides. You might not need to bring your travel size hair dryer or its European adapter. Some hotels provide basic toiletries as well. If you are traveling with a baby, some hotels offer cribs, sheets, and high chairs. Make a travel list and then compare it to what the hotel provides. Even travel sized items can add up, so do your homework before hand.
3. Consider high tech gadgets to help lighten your load. If you are a movie buff or love to read novel after novel on vacation consider getting an iPad or an eReader. They take up a lot less space than DVDs or a few bestsellers.
4. Chose only clothes that match each other. Choosing only clothes that match each other allows you to mix and match. Pick clothes that you can use the same shoes and the same accessories with.
5. Pack smarter not heavier for winter climates. Bulkier doesn’t always mean better or warmer. Some lighter weight jackets are more effective than big poofy ones at keeping the chill away. Layering clothes can help lighten your load while keeping your warm. Instead of bringing lots of coats, you should bring clothes that work together to keep your warm in varies temperatures. If there is a warm streak of weather your will also be ready for that, if you wear layers.
6. Chose wrinkle resistant clothes that are comfortable enough to be in all day but are also dressy enough for any place your want to go. Having clothes than fit in anywhere can help lighten your bags. Instead of rushing back to the hotel to change for dinner your can spend more time exploring.