You probably look nothing like your high school yearbook picture from senior year, and your life has changed leaps and bounds since graduation. The outfit you pick for your high school reunion needs to represent the real you — the successful businesswoman, super mom, free-spirited globe trotter, or whomever you’ve grown into over the past ten, twenty or thirty years – not the high school grad who was just stepping out of high school survival mode!
The perfect outfit for the high school reunion is one will make you look and feel confident, and bring out your best features. Be selective about what you wear so that you can make a lasting impression with your old high school sweetheart(s), best friends and those folks you never really got to know way back in your high school days! Use these tips to pick the perfect outfit for your high school reunion:
1. Consider the setting. Is your high school reunion going to be held outdoors or inside the high school gym? Do the day’s activities include pool time or just enjoying a meal and cocktails at a fancy restaurant? Consider the location and setting of the events when selecting your outfit. If the events are being held in the evening, you can probably go with a dressy pantsuit, cocktail dress or more formal wear. If it’s an afternoon get-together outdoors, stick with semi-formal dresses, khakis with a blouse or shirt, and skirts with a short-sleeve top. If the reunion is going to be a weekend-long affair with a series of cocktail parties, group activities or a trip to another location, pack formal and casual wear, and skip complicated styles so that you can relax and have a good time.
2. Dress your age. It can be tempting to play the “I haven’t aged a bit since high school!” card for the reunion, but you want to make sure you are showing off the real you, the person you are today. Showing off too much skin or wearing the latest outfit off the runway isn’t going to win you any points with old high school friends and acquaintances. It might even give off the wrong impression.
Take the time to choose an outfit that complements your real personality and taste, and make sure that you…
3. Don’t wear something you’ve never worn before. Your comfort level is a top priority during the high school reunion festivities, so make sure – really make sure – you’re comfortable trotting around in those four-inch stiletto heels or sporting a barely-there dress before you head off to the party. When you wear something that you’re not used to wearing, it’s going to show. Big time. If you’re picking out a whole new outfit for the events, wear it on at least one occasion before the reunion so that you feel really comfortable in it!
4. Go for the classics. From a simple black shift dress to a tailored suit, stick with classic cuts and styles to make a lasting impression. Unless you’re a fashion maven in your regular life, wearing the latest trends and flashy accessories may be too much for the reunion. Let your personality shine and play it safe with a simple, elegant and clean-cut look.
5. Don’t over accessorize. The high school reunion may seem like the perfect time to show off your diamonds and jewels, but you will want to make sure the ensemble really represents you – not an artificial version of you. Wear a simple diamond necklace or bracelet to formal events, but stick with costume jewelry and simple styles to complement your daytime outfits and other activities. Don’t let those gleaming gems and flashy accessories outshine your personality and confidence!
Read more from Sabah Karimi:
Miami Summer Fashion Trends
Fashion Tips for Winter: The Right Way to Wear a Pashmina
How to Save Money at Macy’s