If you cross your eyes, will they stick that way? Some old wives tales are believable and some are just plain ridiculous. Nevertheless, here are five ridiculous old wives tales that some very intelligent people actually believe. Usually the people who believe these have been told they’re true by their Mom or Dad and just accepted it. Some heard them around school or work. Whatever the case, here are five ridiculous old wives tales put to rest. None are true.
1. If You Cross Your Eyes Will They Stick That Way? This one was likely brought about because little Johnny simply would not stop crossing his eyes. His Mom wanted to put a scare into him to make him stop so she fed him this bogus lie. If you cross your eyes they will not stick that way. This talent will also be a sure hit with your friends and may actually give your eyes some exercise.
2. Can a Cat Really Steal a Baby’s Breath? Can you see me crossing my eyes? I hope they don’t stick that way. What genius made this one up? The first time I heard this was from my ex-mother-in-law. You can see why her son is now my ex. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, as they say. Can you really picture your cat jumping into your baby’s bed, pouncing on them and sucking the life out of them? Oh please! Tell me you’re smarter than that!
3. Can Morning Sickness Determine the Sex of Your Baby? Now, I ask you, how would this work exactly? Morning sickness is caused by the hormones released by a pregnant woman during her pregnancy. It’s not caused by hormones released by the baby. So, whether your baby is a boy or girl makes no difference in the type or duration of morning sickness. If you really want to know the sex of your baby, ask for an ultrasound. This is the millennium, not the dark ages, Bobby Sue.
4. Will Touching a Toad Give You Warts? If I were on Facebook, right now I would say “BWA HA HA HA HA!” This one is incredibly far-fetched but believe it or not, some people still actually believe it. Sure, toads are bumpy, but they don’t cause warts. Some people will believe anything they hear. Warts are caused by a virus. Many little boys and girls pass this virus on to each other when they play. Some of these kids play with toads. Maybe eons ago, some little boy was playing with a toad and coincidentally got warts right afterward, but no, toads do not give you warts.
5. Are Bats Really So Blind, They Will Get Tangled Up in Your Hair? Can you see me crossing my eyes again? I’m sure they’re going to stick that way after writing about all these ridiculous old wives tales. First of all, news flash, bats are not blind. In fact they see quite well. In addition to having great eyesight they have that awesome radar feature. They also have no interest in flying close enough to anyone’s hair to get stuck in it. So, uncover your head, you are safe from the hair tangling bats.
Half a Brain ( I only needed one half to figure this out)