Sadly, actor Glenn Shadix passed away the morning of September 7th, reportedly injuring his head in a fall at his condo in Birmingham, Alabama. Perhaps best known for his portrayal of Otho, the interior decorator in the horror-comedy “Beetlejuice,” Glenn was a very skilled and wonderful actor with a talent for playing unique characters. In addition to his roles on the silver screen, he has also acted in countless television shows, appeared on the stage, and has lent his voice talents to a plethora of cartoons and video games. In memory of this great artist, we take a look back at 5 great Glenn Shadix performances.
5 Unforgettable Glenn Shadix Roles
1. Otho in “Beetlejuice,” 1988: There were so many amazing and unforgettable characters in this movie. Of course, Lydia and Beetlejuice got most of the focus, but who can forget the somewhat-sleazy interior decorator/art-snob, Otho? He was determined to make a buck, whether it was renovating an old house or learning how to control the dead. Glenn Shadix pulled the character off brilliantly and will always be remembered for his creative part in this amazing film.
2. Father Ripper in “Heathers,” 1989: He didn’t have a big role in this movie, but at the time, it was really funny to find a priest that would loosen his collar up enough to refer to Jesus Christ as “that righteous dude.”
3. Duke the Dog Butcher in “Bingo,” 1991: Sort of a weird remake of the old Lassie movies meshed with something akin to “Incredible Journey,” “Bingo” is a tale of an abused circus dog who runs away one day and befriends a young boy. Duke was a small role for Glenn, but he could pull off a creepy individual better than most. “Run Bingo, run!”
4. Associate Bob in “Demolition Man,” 1993: This remains one of my favorite movies of all time, and for good reason. Starring a young Sandra Bullock and Sylvester Stallone, this movie was packed with talent. Glenn is exceptional as the somewhat opportunistic and futuristic Associate Bob…but we still don’t know what those 3 seashells do even after all these years.
5. The Mayor of Halloween Town in “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” 1993: Who can forget the Mayor in Halloween Town, always trying to bring a little love into the lives of all the little scaries. Or was it trying to bring a little scary into the lives of all the little lovies? Then again, how many of these critters were actually alive to begin with? Awkward question. If you haven’t seen it, do so. You’re missing out on what of the best animated features of all time.
In addition to these 5 great performances, Glenn Shadix was also a part of the HBO drama, “Carnivale,” he played Jerry’s landlord in the NBC comedy blockbuster “Seinfeld,” and did various voice-overs, including working on the popular “Kingdom Hearts II” video game. He will be missed by many.
Rest in peace, Glenn.
http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2010/09/08/Beetlejuice-actor-Shadix-dead-at-58/UPI-42061283960935/ – Breaking news of Glenn’s passing
http://www.imbd.com – Movie dates