1. Going I-5 Northbound, turn right on N Lombard St until you get to N Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Turn right on MLKJ Blvd and continue north to rejoin with I-5.
2. Going I-5 Northbound, go west and take N Interstate Ave.
3. From I-5, take a left exit to N Wheeler Ave, turn right onto N Williams Ave. Continue N on Williams and turn right onto NE Fremont St. Continue on Fremont, turn left on NE 57th Ave. Continue on 57th, it will turn into NE Cully Blvd. Keep going until you get to NE Killingsworth St, at which point you can go west to get back to I-5, or go east to I-84.
4. Going North on I-5, take the 303 exit and follow N Missouri Ave to N Killingsworth St. Turn right onto Killingsworth. Continue, turn left onto N Vancouver Ave. Go north, then turn left to get onto Rosa Parks Way. Continue on to I-5.
5. From I-5, take the N Greely Ave exit. You can head north on Greely as far as Lombard before connecting back with I-5.
6. From I-5, take the Lombard exit and go west until you get to Interstate Ave. Turn right and head north until you get to Denver Ave. This will take you up by the Portland International Raceway before reconnecting with I-5.
Tips: Greely is a good option, but can be bottlenecked by Adidas at times. Denver is free and clear almost all the time, and is a good choice if Greely is clogged.
If you get stuck in traffic before you used one of these alternate routes, you can always pop the clown out of your glove compartment. I’m sure the other drivers need some entertainment, too. :)
I would like to thank Jim Fleck and Kris Coon for their excellent contributions to this article!
Mapquest zoomable Portland area I-5 map: