Everyone has a different definition of success. What “success” means for one person simply does not fit for another person. I think that this is especially true for women, because we have so many varied and diverse roles throughout life. Our own attributes determine our success more than anything else. I bake a really tremendous apple pie, but I suspect that there is someone out there who may make a better pie that I do. How I choose to handle that knowledge is what is going to make the difference. What are the key attributes that I feel will make a woman a success? Here are a few thoughts.
1. Grace – A successful woman is a gracious woman. When she runs into that woman who makes the better apple pie, she will smile and compliment the maker, and she will enjoy the pie. No matter how good you are at anything, there will always be someone who is better. A successful woman accepts that and still values herself just the same.
2. Gratitude – A successful woman is a grateful woman. She does not complain about what she does not have. She celebrates all that she does have, and she does it daily. We are constantly gaining and losing throughout life. A successful woman is grateful no matter which way the tides are rolling.
3. Purpose – A successful woman has a sense of purpose and determination. She has a dream or goal, and she is not easily deterred from pursuing it. She is not a quitter, or a flitter. She stays the course unless she realizes that continuing to do so would be unhealthy.
4. Passion – To be a successful woman, passion is essential. Whether you are passionate about your career, your family or your apple pie, it makes no difference, as long as you have a passion. Passion is the fuel that will power you to your goal. If you lose your passion, you will go nowhere.
5. Self-Awareness – A successful woman is human, imperfect, flawed and not afraid to admit it. She knows herself and learns from her own flaws. She will have tried things and failed, made terrible mistakes and learned from them. She will have suffered and survived, and had losses and will have recovered. From these experiences, she will have learned to love better, to try harder and to hope more. She will have gained compassion and understanding. She will have traded in envy and a desire to judge for the ability to forgive and move on. She will know that a small kindness may save a life, and she will give freely of what she has.
A successful woman has a heart, a head and two hands, and she uses them willingly and openly. She knows herself and she likes who she is, no matter how she got there. A successful woman is inside of every woman, and whether it is a family that she cares for or a Fortune 500 company that she runs, she never loses her heart, dismisses what she knows in her head or is afraid to extend her hands to a person in need.