Making a fabric gingerbread man is a fun and simple sewing project that is great for kids just learning how to sew. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to make a fabric gingerbread man. The link to the gingerbread man pattern is also included.
You will need the following materials:
2 13″x10″ pieces of tan or brown felt
Tan or brown yarn
3 buttons of any color
White small pompom
1 pair of googly eyes
Fine tip permanent marker
Polyester fiberfill or cotton (for the stuffing)
3 safety pins
Steps to make
1. Print out the Gingerbread man pattern from the this link. Trace and cut out the two gingerbread man shapes from the fabric.
2. Being as careful as you can be, line up both gingerbread man patterns evenly and pin them together with the 3 safety pins in order to hold them in place.
3. Exactly 1/4″ from the edge, use the hole puncher and make holes around the outside edge of the gingerbread man, making each hole 1/2″ apart from each other.
4. Thread the yarn needle with the yarn and knot one end of it. To start, come up between two sets of the punched holes between the two layers of the gingerbread man.
5. Hand sew with an over edge stitch using the holes. Repeat this step until you have about 2 1/2″ left to sew.
6. Stuff you gingerbread man and be sure you are getting the stuffing throughout the whole body. Finish sewing.
7.When you are done sewing, remember to knot the yarn and take 3 more stitches before you cut off the yarn.
8. Put some red glitter on your gingerbread man where the cheeks are.
9. Glue the eyes and the pompom nose on and draw a mouth with the fine-tipped permanent marker.
10. Glue the ric rac on your gingerbread man however way you like it. You can do it around the entire outside shape of the gingerbread man or you could put it around it’s hands and feet.
11. Lastly, glue the 3 buttons down the gingerbread man’s body.
After completing all these steps, you should have a complete and wonderful hand sewn Christmas gingerbread man. For more craft ideas, feel free to visit the link below: