This is a letter to any adult who was sexually abused as a child. There IS hope! I have also have been sexually abused as a child. I know- you may feel dirty and ashamed. You may feel self-abusive or maybe suicidal. There is light at the end of the tunnel! Here are some steps I found helpful.
1. Get the support and assistance you need. I found going to a councilor very helpful.
2. Work through your feelings. They will NOT destroy you. I remember thinking my feelings were so strong that they would take over and it would be like a bomb going off within me. That is why you may need a professional who knows how to help you work through these very strong and scary emotions.
3. Your faith can help you through this hard time. I remember having a time when I was so angry at Jesus and couldn’t understand why he didn’t make the people stop sexually abusing me. After much prayer and going to a spiritual advisor I realized each person has free will and Jesus was with me during those times and knew the pain I felt. It was reassuring to know I didn’t even have to explain what happened. He already knew not only what happened but how it felt.
4. Be patient with yourself. This will take time. Know that you won’t be alone Jesus is right beside you.
5. After much emotional and spiritual work I was able to forgive the people who abused me. There was such freedom!!!
6. Now I try and bring the healing and compassion I experienced with Jesus through my books and I have started a company called Voice of Joy! I will talk to groups, companies, conferences, workshops, churches about topics related our sacredness and holiness within ourselves, others, and nature. One of the topics is how we can live our faith in a stressful world.
I am so excited about my future and my life. Sexual abuse doesn’t have to be a life sentence for victims! There is hope! My prayer is that you will discover the holy and sacred person you are.