Who said Halloween was just for kids? It’s also a wonderful time for adults to get together and enjoy each other’s company. While cakes, cookies and sugary fruit punch may be fun for kids’ parties, adult parties need foods that are a bit more sophisticated. Many adult guests also want to watch their fat intake for the evening. That doesn’t mean you have to serve rabbit food though. The following recipes are not only low fat, but are perfect for an adult Halloween party.
Vampire Slayer’s Hummus
3 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 heads of roasted garlic (depending on how garlicky you want it to be)
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Place the beans and roasted garlic in a food processor and place on the lid.
2. Start the food processor and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or enough to make the beans and garlic smooth in texture.
3. Remove the lid and use a pair of kitchen shears to snip the chives into the hummus.
4. Fold in the chives and add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Serve with toasted slices of bread, fresh vegetables and baked tortilla chips.
Fresh Mozzarella Eyeballs
2 pounds of 1 inch low-fat fresh mozzarella balls
1 pound of roasted almonds
1 bottle of fat-free Italian dressing
1. Drain the mozzarella and press one roasted almond into each ball, starting with the pointy end.
2. Place the mozzarella balls into a storage container and cover with the Italian dressing.
3. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Count Dracula’s Tropical Blood Punch
2 pound of strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
10 kiwis, peeled and chopped
1 cup of mango pineapple juice
Red food coloring, optional
1. Place the strawberries, kiwis and juice into the blender and blend until smooth.
2. Strain the mixture to remove any seeds.
3. Add additional food coloring to create a blood like color, if desired.
4. Place in a decorative picture and add a shot of alcohol to a glass before pouring, if desired, and stir before serving.
5. Decorate the drink with gummy eyeballs or spiders.
Halloween parties don’t have to be reserved for children. With foods like these, you’ll be wishing Halloween came around more often and so will your guests.