If you are looking for quick and easy projects to make for baby shower gifts or to add as an accessory to a wrapped package, then these Minkee cuddly toys are the perfect solution. Each cuddly toy takes only about 30 minutes to make, depending on your sewing level. You can make them by hand or with a sewing machine.
What is Minkee? Minkee is a very soft, plush fabric available in many colors and textures. In the example photo, I used a baby blue Minkee fabric with raised polka-dots. It is available at most fabric and quilt stores.
Note: Minkee can be a bit slinky in your sewing machine. Pin well and use a walking foot if you have one.
Scrap of Minkee in your choice of color for each toy
Scrap of coordinating flannel for each toy
Scraps of 3 or 4 different satin ribbons for each toy
Needle and thread or sewing machine
Step-by-Step Instructions to Make Minkee Cuddle Toys for Baby Shower Gifts
1. Decide what shape or animal that you want to make. Animals such as dogs, cats, horses, bears or bunnies are good choices.
2. Draw a pattern using the pencil and paper. The pattern should be a silhouette of the animal. If you cannot draw one, then do an online search for animal silhouettes and print it out. Make the pattern about the size of your hand. Allow room for ¼ seam allowances.
3. Pin your pattern to the Minkee and cut 1. Be sure the nap is going downward.
4. Pin the reverse of your pattern to the flannel and cut 1.
5. Cut a few 6-inch lengths of satin ribbon. Depending on the size and shape of your cuddle toy, you may want a different amount of ribbon pulls for the toy. You can also skip this step if you do not want to add ribbon pulls. See the example in the photo.
6. Fold each piece of ribbon in half and pin to the right side of the flannel so that the raw edges are lined up.
7. Sew each ribbon to the flannel.
8. Place the flannel and Minkee with right sides together.
9. Be sure to keep the ribbon pulls tucked inside and away from the seam allowance (so the ribbons do not get caught).
10. Pin well.
11. Sew around the cuddly toy using a ¼ inch seam allowance and leave a space open for turning.
12. Turn the cuddly toy right side out. Be sure that the ribbon pulls stick outwards and did not get caught in the seam allowance.
13. Stuff the toy with Fiberfill.
14. Sew the open edge closed.
15. Optional: Use embroidery floss to add eyes using a French knot. Check out my video here for instructions on how to make a French knot.