For ESL or EFL teachers, the romantic comedy You’ve Got Mail is a gold mine of idioms, pronunciation modeling, and culture. Have your class watch Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks over and over; they won’t mind! Use these scenes with vocabulary, along with the exercises, to make the movie educational.
This is #5 of 6 in a series of You’ve Got Mail lists of scenes and vocabulary. Click on links at the end to get the first four.
33. Shop sale.
Not nailed down
Read it with a box of Kleenex
34. She goes to Fox. The Shoe books.
35. Patricia and Joe-elevator. “If I ever get out of here. . . .”
in two shakes
call the super
if I ever get out of here
this very minute
36. He moved out. To boat with dog Brinkley.
I found myself wishing
37. Shop-empty. Closed sign.
count on it
The truth is, I’m heartbroken.
38. Walking Brinkley by river; dad-didn’t marry Gillian. Boat.
It’s lonely at the top.
living out of a suitcase
down the drain
Don’t be ridiculous
39. Flowers to Kathleen. Song: “Signed, sealed, delivered.” She has a cold. George is working for Fox.
Not ashamed to cry
24 hours a day
just a second
Exercise: Match vocabulary with these definitions.
a. The person is dead. _______________
b. It makes you feel very sad. _______________
c. It’s for sure. _______________
d. You don’t know the answer, so you make it up. _______________
e. It’s exactly the opposite of what you would expect. _______________
f. When you’re successful, you might be alone. _______________
g. It’s complicated and time-consuming to tell. _________________
h. Two things happen by chance, but seem arranged. _______________
I. It’s sad. You will cry. _______________
j. Rude and uncaring words and treatment _______________
Exercise: Fill in the correct expression.
1. I don’t know what to eat for dinner. Maybe some soup _____________________.
2. I’m glad I’m going home in a few days. Traveling is fun, but I’m tired of _________________________.
3. Customer: What are you selling today?
Salesperson: Anything that’s ____________________________.
_________________________________________. We need bread, milk, eggs, and cereal. I guess I’d better go shopping.
4. Gillian left me for someone else. Oh well, that’s another relationship __________________________.
5. _____________________________! I hope you enjoy working here.
6. ______________________________, I’m going to start my own business and buy a house in the country. That’s what I want to do with my life.
7. ___________________________________! You can’t buy a house until you save up some money. That will take years. Get real!
Earlierand Next You’ve Got Mail articles:
You’ve Got Mail scenes #1
You’ve Got Mail scenes #2
You’ve Got Mail scenes #3
You’ve Got Mail scenes #4
You’ve Got Mail Scenes #6