Every year around November, I start to feel an inclination to break out the Christmas music. Fortunately, I have stocked my iTunes library with all the best Christmas songs, ranging from traditional classics to pop picks to indie gems. Here I have compiled a top 10 list of my all-time favorites. Enjoy!
1. Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton – Baby, It’s Cold Outside
Topping my list is this delightful duet. The song has been recorded by countless artists, but this is without a doubt my favorite version ever. Play it while snuggling up to your honey on a snowy winter’s night.
2. Peter, Paul & Mary – A’ Soalin’
An enchantingly beautiful and intricate song from the folk trio. I can listen to this one again and again.
3. Johnny Mathis – Sleigh Ride
When I think of Christmas music, I think of Johnny Mathis. Not only is this my favorite holiday song of his, but his recording is also my favorite version of this cheerful standard.
4. Brenda Lee – Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree
Two words: Home. Alone.
5. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band – Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town
The Boss just rocks, and this song is so infectious. You can tell the band had a lot of fun with it.
6. Bing Crosby & David Bowie – Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy
An iconic duet. The theme inspires welcome feelings of optimism and good-will for the holiday season.
7. Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLachlan – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings
A unique Christmas song with a spirited tempo. McLachlan’s vocals are just lovely.
8. Michael Buble – Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow
Such a smooth, charming version. Just listen to that croon!
9. ‘N Sync – Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays
I was 12 years old when this single was released during the boy band explosion of the late ’90s. Cut me some slack.
10. Slow Club – Christmas TV
To round out my top 10 favorites list, a catchy, sweet little love song from a somewhat lesser-known band than the above tracks.