With the New Year around the corner and me being a proud parent of 3 girls, I want to be the best dad that I can be. I am going to name off 5 of mine and what I think should be many parents’ resolutions for the upcoming year.
1. Spend more quality time – I personally am going to try to spend more time with my kids. I do spend a lot of time, but they are only going to be young once. I am definitely spend more times wrestling with them, more times taking them to the mall, or playing at chuck e cheese, or just going to the park. Anything that will stay as a memory for me and them for all times.
2. Help more with their education and development – Now that my kids are starting school I would also like to help with their development. I am going to focus more attention to reading with them and taking part in more craft projects that they have a lot of interest in. My goal is to read with them for 75 minutes a week, and try to keep it evenly according to their education.
3. Help more with what’s important to them – I will also take more initiative in taking part in what’s important to them. If it’s selling Girl Scout cookies, or spotting them on tumbling I will definitely make more of an attempt to get off my seat and be more a part of their world. My goal is to make their tumbling development fun and educational, making sure that safety is our primary concern.
4. Talk to them – I want to also take to the time to talk with them. Talk with them more about strangers, about life, and get to know more about how their day was. I have a goal to actually try to learn more even after they respond “OK” after I ask how their day was. There’s always more to it, and I want to be a part of that.
5. Take a vacation – And the biggest thing I want to do to make memories in 2011 for the entire family would be to take them all on vacation. I would love to go to Disney World again, but I am also OK with staying in a hotel for a weekend trip. Anything that would get them out of the house and doing something fun as a family really important to me and my New Year’s resolutions.