Up in the sky, its a bird, its a plane, . . . it’s a secret missile launch from the Pacific Ocean just outside of Los Angeles? The suspected missile was launched about 35 miles west of Los Angeles, and it produced a large and visible contrail. The Pentagon reportedly is investigating the reported missile launch to try to determine who could have launched it, but reportedly the launch is “unexplained” at this point. Military officials say that while they don’t know who launched the missile, that it does not pose a national security threat to the country.
This seems to imply that the military knows who fired the missile, and why, but is not allowed to reveal this information. Listed below are some possible explanations.
1. Some experts have said that the “missile launch” was just a jet’s contrail. This appears to be plausible as the sighting occurred near sunset, when such a trail would be lit up, yet for the traffic that LAX receives, wouldn’t such sightings be more common? And as far I know, there isn’t any airport 35 miles west of LA, where this supposed launch is believed to have occurred.
2. Going with the jet theme, perhaps it was a pilotless drone which was launched from a mobile launching station somewhere in the ocean and its contrail is smaller than what is believed.
3. It was a missile test from a submarine in US waters, which for some reason, the US military does not want to confirm. Some have speculated that it was done to spook some country in Asia, perhaps North Korea or China? But surely these countries know what the US military’s capabilities are.
4. It was a missile headed for outer space which had to be secretly launched. If so, then why not do this at night, or at least in a sparsely populated area? Maybe NASA, or whatever government agency, which launched the rocket wasn’t concerned about being spotted. There also weren’t any warnings given to boats and airplanes in the area about an impending launch, something that the military does routinely do, which seems to indicate that this was not something launched by the US military.
5. Could it have been a rogue missile launch by another country using perhaps a submarine? This appears unlikely, however, the possibility can not be complete ruled out.
Most likely this was a jet’s contrail which was illuminated during sunset as the other explanations appear even more unlikely.