I am writing about a facial remedy that I always use and see positive results from. I got the inspiration from an Ayurvedic routine and customized it to my needs. My skin becomes a little acne prone a couple of times a month and I have some old scars on my face. So, I need a remedy that will help me with my acne prone skin and will take care of my scars and blemishes.
For my facial scrub, the main ingredient I chose is oats, because the grain-like consistency of oats will act as a gentle exfoliator. Oats clean the surface of the skin without drying it out and leave skin looking smooth and healthy. As a mixing agent, I choose plain yogurt, because it’ll make my facial scrub emollient and the milk in it will moisturize my skin at the same time. I chose a little bit of honey as a second mixing agent, because honey is a natural bleach and will help to clear up my scars and blemishes. Lastly, I chose to use turmeric powder, because turmeric dries out acne and helps prevent further growth of acne. Turmeric also gives a beautiful glow to my skin.
Now, lets get started, following is the Facial Scrub/Exfoliaor recipe that I use:
o 2 Tbsp of oats
o 4 to 5 Tbsp of plain yogurt
o 1 Tsp of honey
o ¼ Tsp of turmeric powder
1. Grind the oats finely in a coffee mill or a small food processor. You don’t have to make it as fine as flour, keep it slight coarse. The grain-like consistency will end up working as an exfoliator.
2. Take the ground oats in a glass bowl. Add 4 Tbsp of plain yogurt in 1 Tbsp at a time and mix it in the oats using a wooden spatula (preferably). You can use two spatulas if it’ll help you mix the ingredients more easily.
3. Add the honey into the mixture and mix well.
4. Add the turmeric into the mixture and mix well.
5. The consistency of the facial scrub should be just like any other facial scrub at this point – sort of like a pancake batter. If it seems too thick to you, add one more tablespoon of plain yogurt in it and mix well.
6. Put this mixture into an airtight glass jar and refrigerate it. It should keep for about a week. You can use it everyday for a week if you wish. It is gentle enough.
1. Take a tablespoon or two of the scrub/exfoliator in the palm of your hand or a small bowl.
2. You can choose to apply it on your face using your hand or a brush. I have done both and found using a brush to be much easier and far less messy. I use the fantail brush from E.L.F. and it works great. This ensures that I have an even application all over my face as well.
3. Take some of the scrub/exfoliator on your finger or on the brush and start applying all over your face. Apply a couple of layers – it should be a thick application.
4. Allow it to dry for about 15 to 20 minutes or till it hardens.
5. Once the exfoliator is dry on your face, wet your face slightly and start to exfoliate your face gently with tip of your fingers – don’t be harsh on your skin. Otherwise you’ll end up with saggy skin soon enough :( Continue to exfoliate for about a minute.
6. Rinse off your face with lukewarm water first and cool water next.
7. Pat your face dry and moisturize with your favorite moisturizer.
I have found this natural and ayurvedic recipe to be very helpful. You may not notice a difference the very first day, but remain patient and watch the magic! My skin always feels healthy, smooth, soft, and I get such a glow from using it! I simply love it J
If you end up liking the effects of turmeric on your face and don’t have time to prepare this exfoliator all the time, I recommend you use the Organique Neem & Turmeric Face Wash from Himalaya – its wonderful! Check out my review on it at http://kajalreviews.com/organic-skincare-reviews/organic-product/21-organique-neem-turmeric-face-wash-himalaya. Do leave a review if you have used it or once you have used it in the future.
Thanks for reading my blog, do visit the unbiased organic skincare and makeup review site at http://kajalreviews.com. Find more helpful blog posts at http://kajalreviews.posterous.com.