Each year as Halloween grows near kids get hyped up about the costumes and the candy but for the family on a budget, costumes can be a drain on the checkbook. Instead of buying the costume, make the costume. It’s great for bonding time with your precious one and alleviates the normal financial drain.
We always want our little ones to look their cutest and this will make your child one lightning bug that everyone will want to catch. Follow the instructions below and refer to the diagrams to make your darling little cutie the brightest bug in the sky!
black sweat pants
green hooded sweatshirt or jacket
empty 2-liter 7up bottle (label removed)
2 black pipe cleaners
2 small green pompoms (for “feelers”)
1 glow stick
1) Set the pants aside and save for Halloween night since no adjustments are required.
2) Using glue, attach a pompom to each pipe cleaner. Set aside to allow the glue to dry completely.
3) Using scissors cut the 7up bottle in half. Using safety pins, carefully secure the bottom half of the bottle to the bottom of the jacket. Use as many safety pins as necessary.
4) Now it’s time to attach the “feelers”. Attach a feeler to each side of the hood by wrapping one end around a safety pin and pinning it to the hood.
5) On Halloween night, activate the glow stick and drop into the “tail” to create the lightning bug effect. Add layers to your little bug if the temperature is extra cool. After trick-or-treating has drawn to a close, remove the “feelers” and the “tail” and continue save the outfit for everyday use!