Keratin hair straightening treatments are designed to smooth out curly and frizzy hair without harsh chemicals and relaxers. These hair straightening treatments have become increasingly popular in the past few years as more women covet the super-straight, shiny and glossy look. Keratin hair straightening treatments can also be a convenient and affordable alternative to Japanese straightening treatments that do use several chemicals and heated styling tools to achieve similar results.
If you’ve been considering a professional straightening treatment, consider the following pros and cons of keratin hair straightening treatments:
Top Benefits of Brazilian Keratin Hair Straightening Treatments
Women who have color-treated, highlighted or chemically processed hair are the best candidates for keratin hair straightening treatments because the cuticle is already open. Keratin straightening treatments work by bonding the hair shaft to keratin compounds, creating a super smooth, stronger strand.
Some of the top benefits of keratin hair straightening treatments include:
– Reduces frizz
– Strengthens the hair
– Makes hair shinier and silkier
– Reduces need to use heated styling tools regularly
– Can repair hair damaged by color processing
– Hair becomes more manageable
– Can be performed on both men and women
– Can be performed on hair that has already been straightened with relaxers or other chemical straightening treatments
– No known side effects
– Can restore all hair types
Keratin hair straightening treatments can take between one to three hours to administer, depending on the length, condition and texture of your hair. You will need to have a professional consultation before the treatment, and will need to use special hair care products for several weeks after the treatment in order to maintain results.
Drawbacks of Brazilian Keratin Hair Straightening Treatments
While keratin hair straightening treatments can seem like the perfect answer for managing unruly hair, there are several drawbacks to consider. Some of the cons of keratin hair straightening treatments include:
– Cost can be between $250 to $450 or more per treatment, and retouching treatments cost between $50 to $100, depending on the salon. Maintaining results can be costly.
– Not a good match for women who are pregnant
– Hair cannot be washed or worn in an updo for at least 96 hours after the treatment
– Only special shampoos and conditioners can be applied to the hair after the treatment
Keratin hair straightening treatments offer a number of benefits for all hair types, and can help you achieve a super-sleek, attractive style that lasts for several months. However, the treatment doeshave some drawbacks and may not be the most budget-friendly approach for styling your hair. Consider these pros and cons when you’re deciding whether you should undergo the Brazilian keratin straightening treatment.