The beauty of the game is that it is so balanced, but let’s be honest, some units are better than others as evidenced by this guide ranking the top ten best Starcraft 2 units.
The worst units in the game are fairly obvious including the Roach which was hurt by being “nerfed” from the beginning of the beta of the game and also Mothership which is a bit too slow and expensive along with its hinderance of only being built one-at-a-time, another big change from the original beta.
With that being said, every SC 2 unit has a place in the game and that’s what makes it so good. So what are the best Starcraft 2 units? Read on for one opinion and note that the basic units (Queens, Overlords, Marines, Zerglings, and Zealots transports, and workers) will not be included in this guide.
10. High Templar- The psi storm ability isn’t as strong as it was in Starcraft: Brood War, but it’s still an important late-game tool for Protoss players in SC 2.
9. Vikings- Easily massable thanks to the reactor on the starport, Vikings are dominant against air and good on the ground when managed properly making them on of the top ten best units in Starcraft 2.
8. Banshees- Tougher to get than Wraiths in SC 1 but better against the ground, these are a big-time threat in SC 2 for Terran players.
7. Infestors- The abilities possessed by the main Zerg spellcaster are great if managed well. Check outthis guide of the most underrated units in the game and you’ll find out why.
6. Sentries- The Protoss early spellcaster is great for holding off units at ramps with force fields and also casting shields to prevent ranged damage.
5. Mutalisk- Cheap for an air unit, fast, and versatile, swarms of these properly deployed can win games for Zerg players.
4. Siege Tank- Set them up properly and opponents will have a hard time getting ground units near these when deployed.
3. Stalker- Versatile and hard to catch with their amazingly underused Blink ability, these are one of the best all-around units in Starcraft 2.
2. Void Rays- While Void Rays have been called a “noob” unit due to cheap stratgies many unskilled players use involving them, there’s no doubting their powerful abilities. If you “charge” them up before attacking by hitting other structures or units, they become very powerful. If left unattended they can destroy key buildings in mere seconds as they warm up.
They must be dealt with and accounted for at all times and big groups of them are very hard to stop.
1. Marauders- An early Terran infantry unit, they are nonetheless very useful up until the late game. They tear through armor and they can “kite” i.e. hit-and-run early units like Zealots and Zerglings without speed with ease.
Marauder rushes often win the game for Terran pro players both early and late and these units could potentially be the number one candidate for getting “nerfed” when the next patch comes out for the game.
These are the best units in Starcraft 2 in one man’s humble opinion; now it’s your turn, leave comments on this list whether you agree or disagree and let’s discuss more strategy in this excellent new RTS game from Blizzard.