For mothers suffering from postpartum depression, readily available resources and information are a necessity. Navigating the web to uncover relevant information at a time of great vulnerability can seem like an insurmountable task. This article will provide a listing of resources for moms suffering from postpartum depression who live in Connecticut. It is not intended to be an inclusive list, and is for informational purposes only. Anyone seeking counseling would be wise to use their own discretion when selecting treatment. There is a great deal to be said for a “goodness of fit” between a counselor and client.
Counseling and/or Medication Resources:
1) Board certified nurse practitioner, Traci Marando of Family Psychiatric Services (http://familypsychiatricservices.com) is located in Hamden CT (203-747-5282). She provides both counseling and medication, if needed.
2) Psychiatric Wellness Center is located in Southington CT (860-628-9121) and provides both psychiatric and counseling services to mothers suffering from postpartum depression.
3) Women’s Health Services through Hartford Hospital (860-545-1888) has a large staff of practitioners who provide evaluations and treatment for postpartum issues.
4) Dr. Sharon Thomason of Psychological Health Associates (http://www.psychhealthnet.com) has offices in both West Hartford CT (860-233-9772) and Danbury CT (203-794-1044) and provides counseling for postpartum depression.
5) Dr. Roxanne Stepnowski of Medical Psychology Associates, LLC is located in Glastonbury CT (860-317-2869 or 860-633-5204) and provides counseling services. She will refer to a psychiatrist if medication is indicated.
6) Postpartum Clinical Study through Yale School of Medicine (www.researchforher.com- click on the link at the top for the postpartum/baby blues study). If you qualify after a screening, you can be entered into a free medication trial for an anti-depressant.
Support Groups (availability varies):
1) Parent and Child Center at Bristol Hospital, Bristol CT (860) 585-3895
2) Community Health Center in Middletown CT (860) 347-6971 ext. 3662
3) Community Health Center – Family Wellness Center – New Britain CT (860) 224-3642 ext. 5172
4) Or Contact Maureen with Postpartum Support International (203) 866-1998 with up to date information regarding groups in your area.
If you find yourself suffering from postpartum symptoms, don’t wait to seek help. Early intervention is best and with help and support, soon you will be feeling better.