If you are looking for an easy and fun ornament craft for children this reindeer Christmas ornament craft is a perfect choice. It is simple, takes only a few materials, does not take a lot of time and is great for young children. This cute craft is great for preschool and elementary age children, church youth groups or just a craft for you and your children to enjoy. As you will see in the photos this cone shaped reindeer is perfect for holding treats and you can hang it on your Christmas tree. Here are instructions for the children’s reindeer Christmas ornament craft.
One Sheet Foam Paper In Dark Brown (Found at Craft Store of Wal-Mart Craft Department)
Two Sheets Foam Paper In Light Brown
Big Goodly Eyes Scissors
Glue or Hot Glue
Thin Red Ribbon
Medium Size Red Pom Pom’s
Green Glitter Fuzzy Sticks
1) Take one piece of your light brown foam paper, or you can use light brown construction paper also. To make the reindeer cone body cut a circle out of your brown sheet of paper as large as you like. Since tracing a perfect circle is next to impossible, I suggest you use a pot lid as I did. Then you cut the circle out of the paper. Mark the center of the circle with a dot you will need to know where it is. Now you cut a triangle out of the circle, it should be about one quarter the size of the paper. Once you cut out the triangle your circle will resemble Pac Man, from the old video game. Now you are ready to fold it and overlap the edges so it closes together into a cone. Then you just glue the two edges together.
2) After your reindeer body is secured with glue. Take the rest of your light brown sheet of foam or construction paper and cut out two large teardrops for the reindeer ears.
3) To make the reindeer antlers take the piece of dark brown foam paper or construction paper and cut our two antlers. We free handed these if you look at our photo they resemble a ghost a little. You can see the shape of a head and two arms, they do not have to be perfect. One tip is to fold the paper in half so when you cut out one antler you will actually get two, and they will be identical.
4) First glue the dark brown antlers on your reindeer Christmas ornament craft. Once they have dried then your children can glue his ears on, put them where they partially cover the antlers. If you do not want to hold them until they dry you can gently hold them in place with a clothes pin. It will keep it secure without tearing anything.
5) Now glue your large googly eyes on your reindeer face. Then you are ready to give Rudolph the reindeer his large fuzzy pom pom nose. The bow at the top of his head is a thin piece of red ribbon, we cut it to abut seven inches, this allowed a little extra to trim the edges nicely. My children found it was easier to help one other hold the ribbon tie the bow then glue it to the reindeer craft.
6) The last step in your Rudolph the reindeer Christmas ornament is to attach the green fuzzy glitter stick. All you do is glue the end to the inside of the reindeer cone. This way it acts as a handle. This is the perfect craft project for school age children. They can carry home holiday treats in their reindeer cone and then when it is empty you can hang it on your Christmas tree. It makes a perfect gift or keepsake for Mom and Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa at Christmas.