When a solider is serving overseas there is nothing better for them then a little comfort from home. I have found that homemade cookies are a huge hit but can be tricky to send. Sending packages overseas to your soldier is not quick, depending on circumstances it can take weeks to actually get into their hands. During the time that I was sending care packages to Iraq a couple times a week, by trial and error I found a few tips that usually made the cookies arrive in perfect and yummy condition!
Recently a military wife whose husband is currently deployed asked for my advice on sending cookies which made me realize that these tips could be very helpful to others as well.
1. On a day that you have extra time make tons of cookie dough and freeze it. When you are ready to bake you already have dough stocked.
2. After you bake the cookies let them thoroughly cool off.
3. Place the cooled cookies into Ziploc freezer bags and put them in the freezer until they are totally frozen.
4. Once they are frozen use a FoodSaver sealer and FoodSaver bags to vacuum pack the cookies in dozens.
5. Keep the vacuum packed cookies in the freezer until you are ready to seal the care package and head to the post office.
By following these tips your cookies will make it to your soldier better than any other way. Out of all the times that I shipped homemade cookies (which were many) I never heard of them arriving stale!